just a friend

SYNOPSIS: SAM and DYLAN are best friends and have been for years. Until recently they haven’t really had any reason to see each other as more than friend material. Ever since SAM started dating DYLAN’s friend Ethan, DYLAN has been seeing SAM in a new light. SAM and Ethan break up and SAM is livid and decides to take her troubles to her best bud DYLAN. DYLAN suggests playing a quick game of Super Smash Bros to calm her down little so that she can gather her thoughts but little does he know that this will be the hangout that changes their whole friendship.

SETTING: basement at DYLAN’s house and SAM are hanging out at a house and they’re playing a game of  Super Smash Bros.

PROPS, SET, and TECH:

• Couch
  • Two game controllers
  • Some unopened snack food and pop
  • A table (for the food)

CHARACTERS: DYLAN 17 (boy) SAM 17 (girl) both have been best friends since they were 2 years old.

• Dylan is a 17-year-old boy with a love for video games. Never really takes anything or anyone seriously except for SAM,  sometimes. He’s your everyday best guy friend who puts you down for your own good but always listens to what you have to say.  
  • Sam is a 17-year-old girl who just loves to have a good time. She is very set in her way

Set in the basement of DYLAN’s house

lights are low with a light blue wash.

Music from the tv is playing.

DYLAN and SAM are sitting beside each other both focused on the screen in front of them.

DYLAN: Pass the Left Twix. (nudges over at SAM without looking at her)

SAM: Get it yourself, stupid.

DYLAN: I don’t wanna. Plus you’re closer.

SAM: And you’re LOSING. (emphasize LOSING)

DYLAN: I will kick you off this damn couch if I don’t get my Twix in five seconds.

SAM: You really think that’s going to help you build a case as to why I should get off of this perfectly comfy couch when you’re legs work fine.

DYLAN: Dude I’m lazy. Now, will you pass the Twix? (annoyed)

SAM: Lazy, eh? (glances over at DYLAN) Well, I guess you wouldn’t come after me if I (grabs DYLAN’s controller) had this.

DYLAN: (gets up) Aww, come on. (looks at the controller in SAM’s hand with pleading eyes) I literally had you cornered.  

SAM: Well you’re up now so go get your stupid Twix. (DYLAN groans)

DYLAN: Give me my controller. (puts his hand out)

SAM: Only if you get your Twix right now.

DYLAN: (DYLAN narrows his eyes) Fine.

DYLAN runs around the couch to the table as SAM sit back down, puts DYLAN’s controller and unpauses the game and beating DYLAN’s character

DYLAN: Hey! (DYLAN drops his Twix and tries to push SAM out of his way towards his controller)

SAM: What? I’m trying to play a game here, could you stop pushing me? How am I supposed to beat you if you’re pushing me? (laughs)

DYLAN: No no no no no  (panics and runs around the couch to grab his controller but it’s too late)

SAM: OH my GOD. Dude, you should have seen your face. You were like (mockingly) no no no no no (laughs) and I’ve never seen you move so fast.

DYLAN: Why you done this? Why you play me like this? I can’t believe you’ve done this to me, your best friend. You and Ethan are literally meant for each other (laughs) both of you only cheat on this game and this game only.  

SAM: (grows serious) I don’t cheat in real life. (spit these lines)

DYLAN: What’s that supposed to mean? (sits down)

SAM: Nevermind. What game do you wanna play now? Ghosts… Modern Warfare

DYLAN: No no no no no, spill…

SAM: … Street fighter 5…

DYLAN: S.A.M!!

SAM: (SAM looks over at DYLAN in defeat, she goes to sit on the couch and DYLAN sits beside her) He cheated on me, Dylan. I .. I trusted him and, (sighs) he just broke my heart. I really thought that I loved him. I gave him everything, I put everything into that relationship but I guess that wasn’t enough. I wasn’t enough for him. Why? I mean, what more can I do? Am I missing something, am I doing something wrong? Am I not pretty enough, smart enough, interesting enough?  What is it about me that isn’t good enough for guys? I wanna know, help me understand. You’re a guy. What goes on in your heads that make you feel like you need to cheat?

DYLAN: I don’t know.  I’ve never cheated on someone before. Maybe he was unhappy with the relationship or maybe he just didn’t want to tell you that he was unhappy so he did it.

SAM: He was unhappy with me?

DYLAN: No no no, not you. maybe…

SAM: Of course he was. He never really had fun at any of the dates we went on. …

DYLAN: Maybe he just didn’t like the …

SAM: … I always thought he didn’t like the movie or that the food in the restaurant was bad …

DYLAN: (Sadly) Sam…

SAM: Then, I thought, maybe all this time it was me…

DYLAN: There’s no way that it could have been you! (softly)

SAM: Why Dylan. Why. Because it definitely seems to me like it was me the whole time. If it wasn’t me why did he cheat on me?

DYLAN: Maybe he wasn’t the guy for you.

SAM: Or I wasn’t the girl for him.

DYLAN: I don’t understand why you still hold on to him. Why you keep talking about him when he’s obviously moved on.

SAM: Are you even trying to make me feel better.

DYLAN: He cheated on you and you’re still thinking that it’s something YOU did.

SAM: Are you even on my side?

DYLAN: Am I even on your side? Am I even on your side?! I’ve never once left your side (pause). Always giving you advice when you asked for it and especially when you needed it. Whenever you had an issue with one of your friends I would the first person you would call to tell me what happened.

SAM: That’s because you’re my best friend

DYLAN: That’s all I’ll ever be to you just a friend.

SAM: What do you mean?

DYLAN: Nevermind. (avoids eye contact)

SAM: Dylan?

DYLAN: Wanna play another round?

SAM: Dylan what did you mean…?

DYLAN: Or do you want to play Ghosts

SAM: Dylan!

DYLAN: (turns to look at SAM) What do you want me to say, Sam?  

SAM: Just tell me what’s on your mind

DYLAN: Well, first of all, you still haven’t given me my Twix?

SAM: Really. That’s not what you were saying.

DYLAN: Do you want to play a new game or not?

SAM: Fine but if I beat you, you have to tell me what you meant by me only seeing you as a friend.

DYLAN: But if I beat you I get to say nothing and you can’t ever ask about it again.

SAM: Fine.

DYLAN and SAM do an intricate handshake and nod to each other before intensely playing the game

DYLAN: No no no no no (frantically)

SAM: HAH! Told you I’d beat you!

(SAM and DYLAN are sitting on the floor next to each other)

DYLAN: Well technically you didn’t beat me, I just let you win. (looks at his shoes)

SAM: You just don’t want to admit you lost to a girl!

(Leans in closer, almost kissing distance) (SAM and DYLAN make intense eye contact, and then break it as they realize their proximity SAM pushes DYLAN away from her playfully)

DYLAN: I don’t really have to admit it cause you’ll just rub it in my face anyway

SAM: I would not! (thinks about it) …Okay…maybe I would.

DYLAN: Yes! I finally got you to admit something. (chuckles)

SAM: Now it’s your turn you have to tell me what you meant by me seeing you as only a friend

DYLAN: It’s just something Chloe said to me before we broke up

SAM: oh… (disappointed )  well, I still don’t know why you guys broke up. Y’all were so cute together.

DYLAN: (Hesitates) She just wasn’t the one for me. I liked her but I guess I wasn’t really in love with her. (softly)

SAM: Yeah, I get that. There’s a difference between loving someone and being in love with them.

DYLAN: Being in love with them (said at the same time that SAM says that line)

Both look at each other

SAM: How did you know that I was gonna say that?  (chuckles)

DYLAN: You were gonna say that? (said at the same time SAM say )

SAM: Yeah (perplexed)

DYLAN: I’ve been telling you I’m a Telepath, remember? (sarcastically)

SAM: How could I forget when you’re constantly reminding me (Laughs to herself)

DYLAN: That’s what I’m here for, to remind you that I’m always in your head(pause)That sounded much better in my head. Out loud it just sounds creepy.

SAM: This is why you need to stop talking.

DYLAN: Can’t. I love you too much.

SAM: Of course you love me, how could you not? (she says jokingly)

DYLAN: I do.

SAM: Yeah okay…sure you do

DYLAN: I do, why is that so hard to understand?

(Awkward silence as they make intense eye contact)

SAM: So…when you say love…what do you mean? Like love me as in a friend or love me as more than a friend?

DYLAN: Nevermind.

SAM: Awe c’ mon! Tell me! You can’t just set me up like that.

DYLAN: No, it’s actually nothing. Don’t worry about it.

SAM: You expect me to back down after that big reveal and a never mind? You clearly don’t know me at all if you think I’m just going to give up like that.

DYLAN: I mean… well, it’s just that…(he grabs his Left Twix from the ground) I am so glad I have this Left Twix. Am I right or what? (laughs awkwardly)

SAM: Can’t you be serious just this once?

DYLAN: You want me to be serious. Fine. (pause) I love you. (Pauses and stares at the ground) Every time I see you I don’t have to rehearse what I want to say to you because it’s so easy with you. I don’t have to try or worry about what I say or how I act because I know that you won’t really care. I love to just hang out with you and do all the stupid things we always do.  (Pauses) Remember that time that you thought it would be a great idea to play baseball with a wasps nest. You had that crazy smile you always have when you have a stupid idea. That smile, it always puts a smile on my face to see that smile.  You always put me in a great mood without even knowing that I’ve been having a shitty day. You’re my other half. All I ever wanted for you was for you to be happy. Your happiness always came before mine no matter what. (sighs and looks away)  …

(SAM is visibly uncomfortable)

SAM: Um…wow…I. I don’t know what to say.

(DYLAN shrugs

DYLAN: What are you supposed to say? I mean, it’s not every day that your best friend confesses their love for you, am I right or am I right? (nervous chuckle)

SAM scoots closer to DYLAN. SAM takes DYLAN’S hand and DYLAN looks up they stare into each other’s eyes and slowly lean in. They kiss softly. the pull away and don’t look at each other

DYLAN: (Shocked)Wow! I’ve never had a kiss like that.

SAM: (Laughs) You’re telling me (she says in a shy voice)

DYLAN: So…what does this mean?

SAM: Well it’s not every day that two best friends admit that they feel the same way towards each other. (awkward silence)

DYLAN: So, you wanna play another round? I promise I’ll get my Twix myself this time.

Both look at each other and smile.

Lights fade and music starts up again.

I wrote this play in grade 11 as a class act. It takes a bit of my life and my experience with relationship and also my fantasies. There, in essence, I am Dylan. Dylan is the guy I wish I could have been and also the guy that I am. Sam is more complex. Sam isn’t a specific girl but more of a grouping of all the girls I’ve “loved”.

I really hope you enjoyed this tale of young love

Photo cred:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kennys-Blue-Raspberry-Licorice-Twists-2-Lbs/1904824334

One thought on “just a friend

1. Dear Oba,

You are such an amazing guy, and it really sucks that I only got to know you through Creative Writing. However, the amount I know you is enough to know that whoever you meet outside of high school, you’ll leave them with a smile on their face and memories that they can keep.

Okay now on to the post. You have this authenticity when it comes to writing scripts, which makes the characters feel so natural in what they say – so true in what they say. What I liked best was how you manipulated the cliche of ‘friends only ever staying just as friends’ to something that represented both an ideal and reality for you. This was cleverly done, and I hope you were given the chance to perform it.

For improvements, I wanted the class act to be a bit longer, but I know that you can only stay on this same idea for so long, which is why it would have been cool to see you introduce another plot with an extra character or something just to have fun with it for yourself.

Overall, thanks for being in my class Oba, and I really do hope the best for you in years to come and, who knows, maybe see you walking down a Sobey’s someday. Who knows?!

Sincerely,
    Abhay