To my love

The title represents what I was going to originally do with the first stanza of the poem. Whenever I refer to the individual I’m talking about the I in the poem. It was originally met to be a love poem for the girl I liked and I was gonna title it “to my love” because it was to the girl that I thought I loved and do love but not in the same way now. The piece is meant to explore the emotions that come attached with love and relationships. The three that I feel are most common are love, hate, and longing. Each stanza is meant to represent my thoughts toward each of these emotions and how I perceive them to be felt. I planned to make ever stand alone I a lower case to make the individual feel small compared to their emotions but I didn’t think that the audience would understand. I make a reference to becoming one in each of the stanzas. “You and I are one, melting to become one, I push you away.” That is a reference the Bible calling people who come together, one flesh. I ended each stanza with the individual. “I truly do, I’m your north star, for loving me.” this is to help the individual feel important and valued. This piece started off with just stanza one. It took a while for me to see what I could add to it to enhance it. I had Eunice to bounce ideas off and I’m super grateful for her. The “I miss you part ” had me stuck because I wanted to write it as if they weren’t together and it was a missing of something you never had in the first place. Eunice saw that as weird and when she explained herself I saw she was right. That experience made me think of making each stanza connected as if it was a timeline. That is how I came up with the love to miss to hate. I really love this piece because I feel like it’s honest without expressing too much.